When I showed the photos of my grandmother’s 40s suit I said I would make a post about the hat I made from the leftover scraps of the hemmed skirt. Well, I’ve finally gotten around to it!
It’s really difficult to take decent photos of stuff indoors in the dark winter so it’s taken me until now to get some ok ones. I had to make the photos really light to show the details of the all black hat, so now you can see every little piece of lint on it as well…
Here you can see most of the construction. It’s just a backpiece with a band gathered on to it, and then the brim as yet another band gathered on to the first one. The brim fabric is folded double with a wire inside, secured with little stitches, to make the shape.
I’m not so good at explaining how I do stuff, but I hope it made some sense.
There’s a dent in the backpiece that won’t come out properly, where the original skirt hem was.
Another grosgrain ribbon circling the inside to hide the joining of the brim to to the hat. I will probably add a satin lining at some point.